Dec 19, 2011

are you ready? are we ready?

 just love this!
(click here if you can't see the video)


I posted this last year but really feel led to mention it again this year...
for me, for you, for others...pass it on if you feel called.


Ok, everywhere I go in the month of December people ask me,
"Are you ready?"
"Are you ready for Christmas?"
I even have caught myself asking other folks too.

All this asking got me thinking...
Are we ready for the world's view of Christmas, the earthly view?
the one with a million items on the "to do list,"
the mad rush to the mall and to Target and Walmart...
the mad rush to and from the grocery store (think I have been 2 times since Friday...sigh)
the mad rush of preparing teacher gifts not only for family, friends & neighbors,
but also for the children's teachers, administrators, and bus drivers...
the mad rush to wrap all the gifts and plan holiday meals...
the mad rush to all the parties and celebrations,
the mad rush to bake and tag and clean,
etc, etc, etc
In the mad rush 
do we miss it all?
Do we miss the point?
Possibly, probably...
I guess it depends on how you define the word "ready."
Are we ready for Jesus?
This puts the idea of being ready in a completely different category, doesn't it?
All this asking also makes me think of Mary and Martha.
Luke 10:41
MarthaMartha,” the Lord answered, “you are worried and upset about many things,
Luke 10:42
but only one thing is needed. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her …
Luke 10:40
But Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made. She came to him and asked, “ …
Luke 10:39
She had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said.

To be completely honest, I really struggle with this!
I yearn to be more like Mary, but I behave more like Martha.
I want to sit at Jesus' feet daily in all that I do and say,
 but often the world and my own sin gets in the way and allows me to feel "too busy" to do so.
Anybody else with me?
I am 99.9% sure I am not alone on this.
I found this very convicting poem and wanted to share it with you:

READY FOR CHRISTMAS?

"Ready for Christmas," she said with a sigh,
As she gave a last touch to the gifts piled high.
Then wearily sat for a moment and read
Till soon, very soon, she was nodding her head.

Then quietly spoke a voice in her dream!
"Ready for Christmas! What do you mean?
When only last week
You wouldn't acknowledge your friend on the street."

"Ready for Christmas, while holding a grudge!
Perhaps you better let God be the judge.
Why how can the Christ child come and abide
In a heart that is selfish and filled with pride?"

"Ready for Christmas, when only today
A beggar lad came and you turned him away
Without even a smile to show that you cared!
So little he asked, he could have been spared."

"Ready for Christmas! You've worked, it is true,
But just doing the things that you wanted to do."
Ready for Christmas, your circle's too small.
Why you are not ready for Christmas at all."

She awake with a start, and a cry of despair,
There's so little time, and I've still to prepare!
"Oh Father forgive me, I see what you mean;
To be ready means more than a house swept clean."

"Yes, more than the giving of gifts and a tree,
It's the heart swept clean that he wants to see,
A heart that is free from bitterness, and sin,
Ready for Christmas means ready for Him!"
--Author Unknown---

Wow!
Let's get ready for Him this Christmas!
*enjoy this video too!
(click here if you can't see it)

xoxo,
Caroline

2 comments:

  1. You are not alone and now I feel in excellent company, thanks for this refreshing post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, dear friend, I'm ready right along with you. Loved chatting with you the other day... I'll try to phone you before Christmas. This is a lovely post. Warm hugs your way.

    ReplyDelete

other inspiring posts...