Aug 24, 2011

ignoring the call does not work

So I was asked a while ago to help lead 8th grade confirmation 
this year at our church for the rising 8th graders 
and I tell ya', I tried and tried to ignore that call. 
I tried to put my fingers in my ears but that didn't work. 
I tried to make excuses but that did not work. 
As terrible as this sounds, I basically tried to ignore God's call/His plan for me.
God was clearly calling me to get out of my comfort zone 
and help with this awkward age group of young teens.
You remember this awkward age I mention, don't you?
Trying to figure out who they are and where they fit in this world.
So concerned about appearance and image...
and most of them are beginning to show signs of acne. 
Concerned about saying just the right things in just the right way.
Acting "oh so cool" and pretending many times that their parents do not exist.
Don't get me wrong, this age can certainly have great moments and fun times, 
but I do find it the most challenging so far....and we're not even to driving yet!
So the other day I was using my stamps for a mixed media piece 
and I needed the letters GOD to finish "Be still and know that I am GOD." Psalm 46:10
So after I pulled the letters and finished the project 
I looked in the tin and noticed the three missing letters.

Then it struck me, GOD was missing. 
Has God ever been missing in your life?
He was missing in this case, because I was ignoring His call. 
Trying to ignore the fact that He wanted me involved in this
specifically because I find this age challenging.
Because He wants me out of my comfort zone so I can grow and learn.
Saying yes is not always easy. 
This means lots of meetings, gatherings and commitment. 
This means small group leadership and some preparation. 
This means a weekend retreat in Asheville when I really hoped to be here.
But I have to say, we had our fist gathering last Sunday and it was GREAT! 
Could not have been better. I am out of my comfort zone, 
but I know I am where He wants me 
and I know He'll teach me as much or more than these teens.
So I placed the G, the O and the D back into my stamp tin 
and I am keeping them there. I do not want them missing, do you?
Anyone else feeling the challenge of raising young teens 
and feeling conflicted with being called 
to do something out of your comfort zone?
Would love to hear from you.

Blessings,
Caroline

****************************************************************************************

PLEASE DON’T FORGET 
to come
this SATURDAY, AUGUST 27TH
For my 4th annual
Lemonade & Cookie Stand
10am-4pm
This year ALL PROCEEDS will go to
SAMARITAN’S FEET!
How can you help?
*donate any cookies or baked goods individually wrapped
or a full cake(s) from the grocery
(DROP OFF AT 2036 FERNCLIFF ROAD FRIDAY, AUGUST 26TH)

*donate $ (any amount is greatly appreciated!)
Please make all checks to Samaritan’s Feet.
This is a tax-deductible gift!
Bring your checks to the Lemonade Stand
or mail to 2036 FERNCLIFF ROAD CHARLOTTE, NC 28211

*donate a pair or pairs of NEW sneakers ADULTS OR KIDS sizes.
Bring them with you to the Lemonade Stand on August 27th

*ALL OF THE ABOVE!

Thank you sooooooooooooooooo much!
William Simas (age 11)

2 comments:

  1. Working with teens can be a challenge and as your kids are going through those teen years can be exasperating too. When God calls it is hard to ignore Him. And if you take on the call He has put before you it is a very good idea not to forget Him in the process. We can become so engrossed in what we are doing for the Lord that we forget Him. God puts us in areas that we sometimes think is crazy but He has a plan. Before each meeting with those kids pray that God gives wisdom. God bless every meeting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks always Caroline for your transparency and honesty...in showing us how wonderful it is to face the things that we don't feel we can do or are afraid to do, but feel that it is asked of us by God. Yes...I do the same thing, because I am riddled with fear and doubt and only too aware of my limits and afraid..but how foolish really not to trust when we look in hindsight and I find it really amazing how easily we can forget the truth of who our God is. This life is a gift from Him. Everything about us is part of His plan to make us fit to live with Him in eternity. But first... we have to do what isn't natural or easy and that is stretch out our hearts in faith... exercising even the tiniest bit of FAITH and trusting in Him and His Word. We invariably are rewarded with the most amazing help to do greater things than we could even imagine. I'm so glad for you that you are experiencing the JOY that is so real and wonderful when you are in His will. The just shall live by his faith. Habakkuk 2:4 For you will go out with joy, and be led forth with peace; the mountains and the hill shall break forth before you into singing, and all the trees of the field shall clap their hands. Isaiah 55:12. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete

other inspiring posts...