Feb 28, 2011

i hate cancer

Sorry to be Debbie Downer but I hate cancer. 
I do not have an eloquent way of saying this either.
I hate it.
Today I attended a beautiful service for Rob Eubank 
who fought an incredibly brave 28 month battle against colon cancer. 
He leaves behind a wonderful wife, Kory, and three precious children, 
loving family members and many, many, many friends.  
Rob's zest for life was contagious and in the midst of this trial 
he inspired so many with his faithfulness and gratitude for each moment. 
He knew every day was a gift and he lived each day believing that, 
trusting God and spreading that joy to others.
Please join me in praying for the Eubank family today 
and in the days, weeks and months ahead. 

Then later today we found out that my sweet friend Kate's daughter, Sloan 
was diagnosed with mast cell leukemia. 
She begins radiation and chemo tomorrow morning.
She and my oldest son are friends through church and school 
so this hits particularly close to home.
I am asking all of you for intense prayer for this precious girl.
Please join me in lifting them up when they need it most.

So I hate cancer and bet you do too. 
I bet God hates it too, and the heavy rain tonight felt like God weeping over these two families. 
Tonight I do not understand. 
I am confused, bewildered, sad and angry...not at God, but at cancer.
And because I really do not know what to say
I must turn to the only words that really make any sense at all...scripture.

And we know that in all things 
God works for the good of those who love him, 
who have been called according to his purpose.
Romans 8:28


Trust in the LORD with all your heart
and lean not on your own understanding;
in all your ways acknowledge him,
and he will make your paths straight.
Do not be wise in your own eyes;
fear the 
LORD and shun evil.
This will bring health to your body
and nourishment to your bones.
Proverbs 3:5-8

I believe these verses and know they are true, but tonight they seem extra hard to grasp. 
Thank you for praying for these sweet families.
love,
caroline

1 comment:

  1. I hate it, too, Caroline. Sorry this is touching your friends. Hoping all will be okay for Sloan and her family. I love this: "He will wipe away every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away." Rev. 21:4

    ReplyDelete

other inspiring posts...