Aug 31, 2010

First Day of School Tradition

My parent's friend Stella...actually my friend too, 
shared this idea/tradition with me years ago and it's stuck. 
I am sharing it with you too because you may want to try it, 
or you just may have your own traditions for the first day of school. 
Each year she took a picture of each of her children by the same tree 
before they headed off to the first day of school. 
She did this each year Kindergarten through 12th grade. 
Then she framed them in order...
one set for them to have and one for her to keep. 
What a treasure!
My kids know about this tradition 
and even though our oldest is not too keen on being photographed, 
he's all in because he knows he'll be glad to have it when he's older. 
It's fun to watch them grow, see the clothing choices, 
and their smiles on the first day of school.
Promised them I would not share all those pictures here, but at least you get the idea. 
Do you have any special traditions for the first day of school?
If so, please share!
xo,
C

1 comment:

  1. comments and other ideas in response to this post:
    Caroline,
    Each year, on the first day of school, I take a picture of the kids (separately) and make them hold up how many fingers of the grade they are going in to. I don’t remember what I did for K…maybe we didn’t think of it then, but it does help to have the fingers to remember what year it is. Next year my daughter will be in 11th, and we haven’t figured that one out either.
    Dee

    Nothing to do with the first day of school, but with taking pictures : each day – or week – (day is better), take a picture at the same place, at the same hour. Well, maybe it’s easier when you live in town, but I think you can do this wherever there’s “movement”… it’s funny to see the different situations and people passing by this place…
    I often think about the old trees, sometimes, 100 to 200 years old like oaks or willowtree…still at the same place for all theses years… they witnessed so many wars, moves, if they could only speak…
    Love
    Florine

    Caroline,
    On the last day of school, I wait for them at the bus stop with bright red lipstick on when they step off I chase them home and try to give them each a big sloppy kiss on the cheek to congratulate them on another year completed! They act like they hate it, but, they LOVE it!!!
    Cece

    ReplyDelete

other inspiring posts...