Aug 29, 2010

First Day of School Prayer

Well I can't believe it's here. I am having flashbacks of my time with them as newborns. 
Carrying them on each arm, only 5 pounds a piece, 
down the hallway to swaddle them together for their morning nap. 
Honestly, some of those days seemed like they would never end. 
But God certainly has a way of only allowing my mind to remember the good moments 
and somehow the difficult ones have slipped away. 
People always stopped me to tell me time would fly...and it did. 
It actually still does; and they still stop me to share that true piece of wisdom. 
Our boys have had a great few days at school and now it's the girls turn. 
They have been together since the beginning. 
The miracles we prayed for.
As playmates in my womb, they were twirling and interacting since day one. 
They have rarely been apart and really do consider each other 
to be their best friend. (except at 5:30 when they are tired and hungry and waiting on dinner)
But they are ready....and it's time. 
Different classes, different teachers, different friends. 
But I am told tonight by one as I tuck her in, 
that she plans to ask the teacher 
if she is allowed to hug her sister in the hallway if she sees her. 
Tug at my heart.
Earlier today we celebrated William's belated birthday party 
and the girls did the climbing wall while we waited. 
I watched Sarah Grace help Charlotte by lifting her up just enough 
to get to the next level where she could then begin to climb successfully on her own. 
I hope they will continue to lift and support one another in this way through school and through life. 
I was searching for a prayer I could pray over them 
for their first day and this is what I found....not sure who the author is.
Hope all you mothers out there enjoy this too and blessings to all our children 
as they begin this new and exciting chapter. 
Ok, now I am off to use my new GOD BLESS YOUs! sniff-sniff!
xoxo,
C
P.S. We just checked on the sleeping children as we always do this time of night. 
Earlier tonight, we laid the clothes out for the first day of school on the end of their beds. 
Sarah Grace must have changed into her dress after we closed the door. 
She is asleep in her first day of school clothes. Told you they were ready!

A Mom's Prayer On the First Day of School
Here we are again, Lord. 
Their backpacks are loaded and their faces are scrubbed 
and their lunch cards are full.
And I know you'll walk with them, Lord. You always do. 
But a mom still has to ask.
Will You walk with them? 
Will You whisper to them what they need to hear,
 when I'm not there to whisper it?
Will You please, oh please, cover their school with the protection only 
You can give, and will You keep harm far away?
Will You make their minds strong and ready to learn? 
Will You help them understand that hard work 
honors the One who created them?
Will You guide their teachers, giving them patience and 
wisdom and creativity and more patience? 
Will You bless them for their efforts?
Will You love all those children there,
the ones whose lunch accounts aren't full,
the ones who feel alone? 
Will You teach my children to be kind and unselfish 
and to love those who are different from them?
Will You point them back toward home just as soon as you can?
Lord, I give them to You today and everyday, trusting them to Your care.
In Jesus' name, Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Mrs. Simas,

    Oh my goodness, did this make me cry! After feeling stressed and reluctant about school this week, I read your post late last night and then it completely changed my attitude for school this week!

    Your precious little girls were all smiles in the hall today and seeing them light up and wave/hug me in the hall was a highlight of the day! I am sure they were full of stories when they got off the bus!

    All 3 of you did it! Happy first day!

    xoxo.
    Katie Radcliffe

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you sweet Katie...I just sent you a long e-mail! The first day was great for them and they were full of stories this afternoon!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

other inspiring posts...