Jul 13, 2010

Discipline & self-control

Discipline & self-control...
words which are not always easy to hear, and certainly not easy to master. 
I am on a specific diet these days but still baking for company 
and serving delicious yummies which are quite tempting. 
But I am sticking to it and trying to show discipline and self control.
©Caroline Simas 2010 
How do you like my Fruit of the Spirit design?
And as a parent, discipline is challenging too, but oh so important. 
Of course it's easier to say yes...but often, "no" is a love word.
 
So we get newsletters from our pastor on occasion and the most recent one really spoke to me. 
I guess because I struggle with discipline, 
and I bet since you're human, you struggle with it too in some way, shape or form. 
I wanted to share this from our pastor, Steve, and hope it will speak to you too.

The World Cup.  Wimbledon. The Tour de France.  The NBA finals.  The British and U.S. Opens.  Sports galore have filled our television screens this summer.  If you are like me, you have marveled at the athletes' incredible discipline.  
But do we apply that kind of discipline to our own lives?  Especially when it comes to faith?

To the Corinthians, Paul wrote, "Run in such a way that you may win it.  Athletes exercise self-control in all things; they do it to receive a perishable wreath, but we an imperishable one.  So I do not run aimlessly, nor do I box as though beating the air; but I punish my body and enslave it, so that after proclaiming to others I myself should not be disqualified.  
(1 Cor. 9:24b-27)

The Christian life is a discipline.  You choose it over and over again.  It is not a birthright.  It is not something that you automatically get at baptism or confirmation. You do not receive a stamp for simply attending church.  
It is a discipline; a choice to live a certain type of life. 

So just as we choose to exercise even when we do not feel like it and eat the right foods when we want junk, we must live our faith.  That is easier said than done.  Each day, the choices we make, what we say and do - should all reflect that we are followers of Christ. It takes the discipline of an accomplished athlete.  Together let's run the race!

Thanks for listening.
Steve

Let me know your thoughts on this...
what do you struggle with regarding discipline and/or self-control? 
xoxo,
C

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for this post on discipline....yes, it is a struggle.....but it is a choice and one that i'm trying to get better at choosing!! In all areas of my life--parenting, dieting, exercising, schedules...everything....and trying to remember the "fruits" discipline can produce. SO...here's to a disciplined (but FUN!) day!
    Also, LOVE your new fruit of the spirit design!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete

other inspiring posts...