Mar 24, 2010

Summer Sip!

Ahh! Summer...can't wait! The warmth of the summer sun and the chill of a cold summer drink on the beach with family and friends and children running around without schedules and activities just making their own fun.
my favorite Tervis wrap for morning coffee!
Last week it was final and I was giddy with excitement. Signed a contract with Tervis, as in Tervis tumblers. They are a great company out of Venice, Florida and they manufacture these great products right here in the good ol' USA. Read their history here. Our family has always been big Tervis fans and really do drink from them every single day. We have Red Sox tumblers, Masters tumblers, CofC tumblers, Tar Heel tumblers and more. They don't sweat and don't leave a ring on your table! And the best part is they have a lifetime warantee! Yes, you can send them back to Tervis and they will either fix them or replace them for free. Love that!

So backtracking a bit...I have wanted to design for them for quite a while and have been in discussion with them for over a year, but they have been working with big licensors such as Disney, Coke, Harley, Nascar. Hard for little me to compete with those big dogs! They have been great however, about continuing to meet with me and keep the lines of communication open. I initially pitched an inspirational collection of art to them which they liked but were not "ready for"... I was told in January it would be 2-3 years until something may happen. I was disappointed at first but then at peace with it and was frankly busy with other design work.
Meanwhile, I was asked by the Women of Vision in Charlotte to design their 10 year anniversary bookmark for their fundraiser dinner. The Charlotte Women of Vision chapter is filled with amazing women who have such a heart for those in need. It is part of the World Vision ministry which you can read more about here. It was requested that I paint hands holding the earth... I guess the hands could be viewed as those who are called to serve...people's hands who are helping serve on earth. I viewed the hands rather as God holding, protecting the earth. Both are great ways to view the art but that's what I kept thinking of as I painted it.
Anyway, the bookmarks were made and turned out quite pretty. David and I were honored to be invited to attend the lovely dinner event and we met Richard Stearns who runs World Vision. He was a dynamic speaker and I purchased his book, which I am embarrassed to say I have barely cracked but plan to for spring break!
The bookmarks were the giveaway at the fundraiser and went quite nicely with the book. I was so honored to be a part of that, and had no idea that God had more plans for that small piece of art.

A week after the event, I was contacted out of the blue by Tervis asking for some "green, earthy art." They felt like my style was a fit and asked me to quickly submit. I painted several new designs but knew they would not use anything inspirational I sent. Then it happened. I guess it was God placing the idea in my head and telling me "Use the hands holding the earth; MY hands holding the earth." So I reworked it to a Love the Earth theme.

Of all the art I submitted I never thought:
A. one of my designs would be chosen
and
B. they would pick this one

To me this was God's way of getting on that tumbler anyway, without scripture or inspirational text.
Yea God!

Most folks who see these tumbler wraps in stores soon may never know the history behind those hands, but I will and you will and I hope you will purchase them and spread the word.
By the way, production begins soon and they will be released for sale June 21st, 2010. Tervis is opening orders to all of their wholesale accounts, including Bed, Bath & Beyond, so when I find out exactly where they will be sold, I will let you know. Stay tuned!

So now, I NEED TO HEAR FROM YOU! Please let me know which background you like best...we are trying to finalize this now and it would be nice to have your consumer opinion.

#1solid

#2 stems
#3 floral
All images above- Caroline Simas© 2010

Thank you for your enthusiasm and for sharing the excitement with me about how God allowed this art to come full circle.
Joyfully,
Caroline

7 comments:

  1. I am so excited for you C! You can ask anyone who knows me well, Tervis is my favorite. I sport one of my many Florida Gator tumblers at home and in my car. I have been using them and giving them as gifts for many years. Yes! I cannot wait to sport one of yours. May I share this info with my facebook friends, I would love to post this news on my wall soon. The Inspiration continues, my sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  2. We, too, LOVE Tervis tumblers! Each year I send a few back and they are quick with sending new ones.
    I am so excited for you and cannot wait to purchase some with your adorable designs!
    I like the simple solid background. It helps your artwork stand out and men might not feel too feminine holding it!
    You are so blessed with a wonderful and creative talent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok...thanks everyone! I am posting the e-mail comments I have received because most of you don't know how to or don't comment on the blog but rather e-mail me. The vote so far is for #2 which actually I suggested to Tervis. We want this to appeal to males and females and although I love #3 it may be a bit too "girly" for all audiences.
    Here are the comments so far:keep them coming! xoxo, C

    love it!!
    okay, virginia, charles and i all like #2 best!! virginia says it 'even!' looks like an olive branch to her! :)
    rock on sista!

    Wow! Wow! Wow! How exciting. So much fun to watch and hear your successes. The mysterious ways of God. So happy for you. Looking forward to seeing you at the Carolina Soiree. Until then, I vote for #2. Blessings. Kelley

    How very exciting and I loved the history! I like the middle one best. However anything you do is fabulous!
    Aleene

    C-line _ so happy for you. I like the solid background, it is very clean.
    Cheers, Sarah

    Hey Caroline,
    #1 is my favorite for the crispness of the background, however since this is a wrap around it might be a good idea to have some pattern, so I think that #2 would be the best choice...#3 is too patterned I think for what you are using it for. Wow, am I opinionated.... I have know this about myself... I am very opinionated about art and love being asked to contribute my thoughts! Thank you! Congratulations!!!!
    Love,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the solid background the best. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amazing!! I am so excited for you! That is the best story. I vote for #2! I can't wait to have my coffee in one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your story on how God is going before you on this project. Thank you for sharing! My vote is for #1. I love your detailed vines and flowers but your artwork does stand out a bit more with a solid background. Not that you want to redo any artwork but what about the stems 'growing' away from the earth and around the cup but not behind your image. Sorry...you've put me on creative overload :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I know it'll be fab no matter how you change it. As we know there are usually a number of switcheroos. What a future you have! This is only the beginning... and what adventures we will have in NYC. I am looking forward to sharing it with you!

    ReplyDelete

other inspiring posts...