Mar 17, 2010

NOT lucky, but blessed...


Hope you all had a great St. Patrick's Day! 
Not trying to put a damper on this festive Irish holiday but...

I shouldn't say the word hate. 
I tell my kids not to, but I hate the word "lucky." 
It's ok to wish someone the best or good luck in a game 
but really if you think about the word luck it means:


luck·y 
   (lŭk'ē)    
adj.   luck·i·erluck·i·est
1. Having or attended by good luck. See Synonyms at happy.
2. Occurring by chance; fortuitous


Notice that I highlighted occurring by chance. 
That, to me, means with luck it just randomly happened 
and no one had anything to do with it. 
It doesn't say this in the dictionary, 
but I believe sometimes we trick/convince ourselves 
into thinking that we are responsible for our luck 
(or good happenings.) 
But the older I get and the more I grow in my faith, 
I KNOW that we have NOTHING, 
absolutely nothing, to do with our good happenings. 

It's all too detailed for we humans to be responsible for anyway. 
We cannot possibly orchestrate such wonderful experiences 
and happenings. I am convinced it is only from God. 
People often say to me..."You're so lucky...to have twins, 
to have 4 healthy children, to do what you love, etc." 
Very nice, very kind, but it's not luck 
and I did nothing to deserve any of it. 
"For it is by grace you have been saved, 
through faith-and this is not from yourselves, 
it is the gift of God." 
Ephesians 2:8

Well, that pretty much sums it up. 
And so I try very hard not to use the words "luck" 
or "lucky" because I'd rather use the word blessed or fortunate.
So if you hear me accidentally use these words, 
please remind me of this post.
Have a blessed and fortunate day!
xoxo,
C

3 comments:

  1. Love this! I saw on a church sign long ago, you aren't lucky, you are blessed. Since that day, I believe this. I love your post! Enjoy your day,xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Ali! Neat that you saw it on a church sign. I just kept thinking about this yesterday and wondered if anyone else felt the same way. See you tonight for the family fun night at school!
    xoxo,
    C

    ReplyDelete
  3. So agree...and the truth is we are all Blessed, we have a Saviour who came to this world to save us and who is coming back again, therefore, we are all blessed, no matter what circumstances we find ourselves in.
    The pictures from your new lens are beautiful and so enjoyable to view.

    ReplyDelete

other inspiring posts...